The 2013 Audi S8 Sedan is everything you could hope for in a luxury performance sedan. It is designed for those who believe that power and performance should be key components in a refined driving experience. Luxury sedan buyers are no longer simply looking for a smooth ride and quiet cabin; Audi understands! S8 gets a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 and eight-speed automatic transmission. This combination generates 520 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque. It can sprint to 60 mph in a lightning fast 3.9 seconds. This is faster than most sports cars on the market! Fuel economy is at 15 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. Considering the power, and the fact that this is an all-wheel drive vehicle, these numbers are impressive. There is no denying that this sedan can move, but what makes it truly special is the way it performs. The air suspension ensures that the ride is smooth whether coasting in a traffic jam or cruising on an open road. Steering is responsive, and the cabin is a vault; what more could anyone want?
• Audio - The 14-speaker Bose® audio system is hardly what you expect to find as a base system. As impressive as it is, Audi also offers a Bang & Olufsen® upgrade with 19 speakers and 1,400 watts of power.
• Navigation - The standard navigation system is operated right through the MMI. However, upgrading to Audi Connect™ gives you enhance web-based navigation. Plus, it turns your car into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
• Audi Advanced Key - Never fumble for your keys again. This feature lets you unlock your doors and start your car without digging your keys out of your pocket or purse.
Crash and brake test results are not available for the 2013 S8, but you will have a hard time finding a sedan in the Audi lineup that disappoints in these tests. The optional Audi Pre-sense Plus system is a must-add feature. It warns the driver if it senses a possible collision and even activates the brakes, if the driver does not do it fast enough. Lane-departure and blind-spot monitoring systems are optional. Standard features worth mentioning include:
• Top-view camera
• Front and rear parking sensors
• Electronic brakeforce distribution
• Electronic stability control
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Child seat anchors
• Electromechanical parking brake
• Pre-collision safety system
• Post-collision safety system
• Self-leveling headlights
• Night vision assist
• Emergency interior trunk release
• Turn signal mirrors
• Dusk sensing headlights
It is hard to find fault with the exterior styling of the 2013 S8, but it would be nice if Audi realized that classy styling does not have to be showcased in shades of gray, black, and blue all the time. Its wide stance and soft curves are given an array of stunning focal points, such as jewel-like headlights, sporty low air inlets, Singleframe® grille, quad exhaust tips, and available 21-inch tripe-spoke wheels.
The harmonic balance of sport and sophistication continues into the cabin, with diamond stitched upholstery, carbon fiber inlays, and three-spoke sport steering wheel. Audi consistently makes some of the finest cabins on the market, drenched in detail and dressed in premium material. The front seats adjust in a multitude of ways and there is more than enough legroom to stretch out in both rows. The center stack is nicely designed and technophiles will love the Multi Media Interface, but there may be a bit of a learning curve for everyone else.
If the 2013 S8 is made to keep four passengers comfortable on even a long trip, why wouldn't Audi give it a trunk big enough for four suitcases? At 13.2 cubes, this is a disappointment.