Faster sedans may be available in this class, but they are nowhere near as luxurious as the 2014 Audi S4 Sedan. Do not let that statement worry you though, this sedan is by no means slow! S4 is propelled by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 that provides an ample growl while generating 333 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed manual and all-wheel drive are standard, but a seven-speed automated manual is available. The 2014 S4 sprints to 60 mph in a brisk 4.9 seconds. As fast as this is, it does lag behind C63 by nearly an entire second. Do not expect to be excited over fuel economy though; it returns 18 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway, with the automated S-tronic transmission, and only 20 mpg combined with the standard manual. Thanks to a fine-tuned suspension and selectable driving settings, this sedan is as fun to drive as nearly any sports car. Performance-minded buyers will want to add on the Driver Assist package that livens up handling with adaptive suspension dampers and dynamic steering.
|ReviewitOnline Ratings are based on a number of factors including reputation, appearance, model age, engine & other comparative aspects.|
• Audi Connect - Turn your vehicle into a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to eight devices with Audi Connect. This available feature also gives you access to Google Earth™, fuel updates, and more.
• Audio - The available Bang & Olufsen® sound system features 14 speakers and 505 watts of power. Even the 10-speaker system is nicer than you would expect for a standard system.
• Universal Remote Transmitter - Program up to three garage doors, gates, or security systems, and eliminate the need for multiple remotes on your dashboard.
• Navigation - Get to where you are going easier, faster, and with less stress with maps and turn-by-turn directions from the available navigation system.
The 2014 S4 aced all the popular crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Equipped with summer tires, this standard all-wheel drive also offers responsive braking, taking 109 feet to stop from 60 mph. Safety-minded buyers will want to add on the Prestige package that gives you blind-spot monitoring, rear parking sensors, rearview camera, and optional adaptive cruise control. Noteworthy standard features include:
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Post-collision safety system
• Turn signal mirrors
• Dusk sensing headlamps
• Electronic brakeforce distribution
• Engine immobilizer
• Child seat anchors
• Emergency braking assist
• Self-leveling headlights
• Emergency interior trunk release
For a car with this level of performance, exterior styling could be a little more exciting. It is elegant, but even with its halogen cornering lights, pinched headlamps, low bumper, chrome horizontal slats in the grille, quad exhaust, and aluminum door mirrors, it does look a little dated compared to others in this segment.
The interior of S4 received a few updates for 2014, and as you would expect from Audi, the quality of materials is incomparable in this class. The flat-bottom steering wheel is a nice touch, but it could use aluminum trim or detailing to help it stand out. The sport seats are comfortable and supportive, and the cabin is extremely roomy. This truly is a five-passenger vehicle, and this does not mean you have to put three kids in the back to achieve this number. Like other Audi sedans, the Multi Media Interface is effective, but many controls for audio and navigation are -buried- in menus that demand your attention. Other than this the dash has a nice layout, finished with gray-faced instruments.
It is hard to believe S4 has a smaller trunk than A4, but it does. Its significantly less expensive sibling offers a 12.6-cubic-foot trunk while S4 is at 12.4 cubes.