It is a shame that buyers have the mindset that they must give up one benefit to enjoy another. Many assume you have to forfeit power to have a large, roomy sedan, while others are sure they will have to deal with numb steering in exchange for a smooth ride. Well, you can toss what you think you know about full size luxury sedans out the window; the 2013 Audi A8 L W12 Sedan breaks all the rules. This exhilarating sedan is motivated by a 6.3-liter W12 engine mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. It cranks out 500 horsepower and 463 pound-feet of torque to launch you to 60 mph in only 4.4 seconds. It also features Audi quattro® all-wheel drive, which enhances handling and responds to changing weather and road conditions. You can expect to pay for this power at the pump though, as it returns only 13 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway. In addition to a tidal wave of effortless torque, this sedan delivers a compliant, composed, and unbelievably smooth ride. The steering is responsive, and the suspension is so thoughtfully designed that you will not feel like you are driving an extended wheelbase vehicle.
|ReviewitOnline Ratings are based on a number of factors including reputation, appearance, model age, engine & other comparative aspects.|
• Parking System Plus™ - Cameras provide top and corner views to help maneuver into tight spaces with ease.
• Rear Seat Entertainment - The two 10-inch screens in the backseat will keep passengers entertained with movies and video games.
• Navigation - A hard drive based navigation system provides crystal clear maps and detailed directions. An upgraded MMI Navigation system is available in a package that includes Audi Connect™.
• Audi Connect™ - Access Google Earth™, Google Local Search™, and more with this feature. Audi Connect™ also lets you provide Wi-Fi connectivity for up to eight devices.
• Audi MMI Touch - Use your finger to -write- phone numbers, addresses, and other commands and the system recognizes the handwriting.
• Audio - The available Bang & Olufsen® sound system with 15 speakers is quite impressive, but most won't need it considering the standard system is by Bose® and has 14 speakers.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has not performed crash tests on the 2013 Audi A8 LW12 Sedan, and probably won't. However, Audi sedans excel at these tests, so one can only assume this one would be no exception. A blind spot monitor, lane-departure warning system, and Audi Pre-sense Plus are all innovative safety features included in the Driver Assistance package. Additional safety features worthy of a mention include:
• Rear door safety locks
• Emergency braking assist
• Child seat anchors
• Cornering lights
• Engine immobilizer
• Turn signal mirrors
• Electronic brakeforce distribution
• Post-collision safety system
• Pre-collision safety system
• Self-leveling headlights
• Active headlights
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Night vision assist
• Electronic stability control
From its iconic Singleframe® grille to the twin trapezoidal exhaust outlets, every inch of this full size sedan echoes of sophistication. The extended wheelbase gives rear seat passengers an extra 5 inches of legroom, but the graceful lines make the vehicle appear significantly smaller. Two glass panels create the panoramic sunroof that covers more than half the roof; a feature everyone in the cabin will more than appreciate. A wide stance gives it a sportier look, and LED headlights cut through the darkness with ease.
With 43 inches of legroom in the rear, this is a sedan that everyone will be able to get comfortable in. Plus, the fine leather-covered seats are unbelievably comfortable in both rows. There is even a rear seat massage option. The design of the cabin is impeccable. The window sill appears to sweep across the instrument panel to create the center stack, which is also perfectly created. Finely crafted wood inlays remind you why Audi is known for having some of the nicest cabins on the market. In the driver seat, you will appreciate that every control is literally at your fingertips, so you can focus on the road.
Every vehicle needs to have a flaw; Audi A8 L W12 has a rather large one where cargo space is concerned. At only 13.2 cubic feet, this space is a bit of a disappointment.