The extended wheelbase of the 2013 Audi A8 L Sedan doesn't only get you five inches more rear seat legroom; it earns you a third engine option, as well. You might think the base supercharged 3.0-liter V6 is too small for this generous size sedan, but it is more than capable. It produces 240 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque, and returns 18 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. The 4.0-liter V8 is a popular pick, lifting this lengthy sedan to 60 mph in a scant 4.2 seconds. Acceleration is smooth and deliberate, as it produces 420 horsepower and 444 pound-feet of torque, and returns 19 mpg combined. Performance-minded buyers will turn their focus to the 6.3-liter W12 that churns out 500 horsepower and 463 pound feet of torque. Despite the fact that this engine weighs about 200 pounds more than the V8, it can reach 60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Fuel economy is nothing to get excited about at 16 mpg combined. You might expect to feel like you are driving a boat when you slip behind the wheel, but the 2013 A8 L handles like a significantly smaller vehicle. The steering is crisp and the automatic air suspension keeps the ride smooth at different speeds and over broken pavement. It also offers electronically adjustable settings for engine and chassis calibration for the ultimate level of customization.
|ReviewitOnline Ratings are based on a number of factors including reputation, appearance, model age, engine & other comparative aspects.|
• Audi Connect™ - Turn your sedan into a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to eight devices with Audi Connect™. This feature also gives you access to Google Earth™, Google Local Search™, and local fuel prices.
• Audio - The standard Bose® audio system is nice enough to impress most. It features 14 speakers, satellite radio, CD player, iPod interface, and more. If this fantastic system doesn't impress you, perhaps the optional 15-speaker Bang & Olufsen® system will.
• Audi MMI Touch™ - This unique feature allows you to -write- phone numbers, addresses, etc., with your finger on a touchpad, and it recognizes the writing. Use this to make a call with Bluetooth, look up directions for an address, etc.
• Rear Seat Entertainment - If you have children, you will definitely appreciate the two 10-inch screens to watch movies or play video games that the rear seat entertainment system gives you.
• Navigation - The hard drive based navigation system will help you find your way with maps and turn-by-turn directions. An upgraded navigation system comes in a package with Audi Connect™.
If you look at the Audi lineup, you rarely see a sedan ever score poorly in a crash or braking test. So, although crash tests have not been done on the 2013 A8 L Sedan by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, one can only expect that the vehicle would pass would pass with flying colors. The car is already loaded with safety features, but you may want to consider the Driver Assistance package that includes lane-departure warning system, blind spot monitor, and Audi Pre-sense Plus, which can warn a drive of a potential collision, and activate the brakes, if necessary. Additional features include:
• Electronic stability control
• Night vision assist
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Emergency braking assist
• Child seat anchors
• Rear door safety locks
• Active headlights
• Self-leveling headlights
• Cornering lights
• Engine immobilizer
• Turn signal mirrors
• Pre-collision safety system
• Post-collision safety system
• Electronic brakeforce distribution
The A8 L is everything you picture when you think of a full size luxury sedan, unless of course, you happen to picture a rectangular box on wheels. The elegant styling makes this lengthy sedan appear modern and significantly smaller than it is. The extended wheelbase version gives rear seat passengers 5 inches more legroom. It boasts graceful curves, defined lines, LED headlights, a wide stance, and standard 19-inch wheels. As with most Audi vehicles, its focal point is its Singleframe® grille that holds the iconic four rings.
As you would expect from an extended wheelbase, this cabin is spacious. There is more than enough room for passengers in both rows to stretch out and get comfortable for a long road trip. A whopping 43 inches of legroom are enjoyed by rear seat passengers. Of course, being from Audi, it also boasts one of the finest cabins on the market, drenched in gorgeous leather and detailed with fine-crafted wood inlays. The dash is modern and efficient, with the center stack brilliantly created. Everything is at your fingertips when you are behind the wheel.
It's hard to find fault with the A8 L Sedan, but if you are one who takes a lot of family vacations and needs a large trunk for suitcases, you will be disappointed with only 13.2 cubic feet of trunk space.