For a vehicle often thought of as an afterthought in the midsize luxury sedan segment, the 2013 Audi A6 has managed to distinguish itself as a frontrunner. The standard engine is a lively and fuel-efficient 2.0-liter inline-4 that generates 211 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The engine mates to a continuously variable transmission, but before you frown, give it a drive; this transmission is smooth. An eight-speed automatic and all-wheel drive are available. The base model accelerates to 60 mph in a respectable 7.5 seconds, and returns a generous 25 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway. These numbers do dip considerably with all-wheel drive, yielding 24 mpg combined. Audi A6 3.0T is motivated by a 3.0-liter V6 mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. It sprints to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds, thanks to 310 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. For this much power and standard all-wheel drive, fuel economy is pretty good at 18 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway. The well-sorted suspension provides exceptional balance, awarding its driver with a nice connection of the road. The V6 offers sharp response and its transmission upshifts smoothly. The ride and handling definitely lean toward athletic rather than plush, so if you do not appreciate a firmer ride, this may not be the sedan for you.
|ReviewitOnline Ratings are based on a number of factors including reputation, appearance, model age, engine & other comparative aspects.|
• Audio - A standard 10-speaker audio system consists of a CD player, iPod interface, and satellite radio, but an upgraded 15-speaker Bang & Olufsen® sound system is available with digital music server and CD changer.
• Audi Advanced Key™ - Unlock and start your A6 without ever removing your keys from your pocket or purse.
• Audi Connect™ - Gain access to Google Earth™, Google Local Search™, local fuel prices, and more. Audi Connect™ also lets you turn your car into a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to eight devices.
• Night Vision Assist™ - This available system uses thermal imaging technology and an infrared camera to see further down the road when driving in low-light environments.
• Navigation - An available voice-activated navigation system will help you find your way with 3D graphics, turn-by-turn directions, and real-time traffic.
When tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2013 Audi A6 received a -Good- rating in roof, front, and side-impact crash tests. The Sport package on the 3.0T helped it stop from 60 mph in 111 feet. This is an average number. Blind-spot warning system and rear parking sensors are included on higher trims and optional on lower ones. Another standout features is the Audi Pre-sense Plus system capable of warning drivers of a potential collision and activating the brakes if necessary. A few features worth mentioning include:
• Audi first aid kit
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Post-collision safety system
• Pre-collision safety system
• Turn signal mirrors
• Traction control
• Auto delay off headlamps
• Engine immobilizer
• Dusk sensing headlamps
• Child seat anchors
The exterior of the 2013 A6 boasts harmonious proportions, from its long hood to its sweeping roofline and short overhangs. Standout features include Singleframe grille with low air intakes, subtle spoiler edge, matte black diffuser, and round tailpipes. This is a sedan that looks fantastic from every angle.
An ambiance of airiness defines this luxurious cabin. A solid finish, high quality materials and attractive dash are trademark characteristics buyers have come to expect from Audi. The seats are comfortable and supportive, and the back boasts real-world legroom lacking in most rivals. The Multi Media Interface is operated through the dash-mounted pop-up screen. It controls communication, navigation, and entertainment functions. It offers crisp graphics, responsive touchpad, and logical menus.
At 14.1 cubic feet, the trunk is larger than some of its Audi siblings yet smaller than some rivals. It does offer a pass-through feature with a split-folding rear seat though.