Appearance-wise, not much has changed on the 2014 Audi A4 Sedan, but it does receive some nice tweaks under the hood, primarily where power is concerned. The 2013 model generates 211 horsepower, which is respectable for a four-cylinder. This year's model is even more spirited. Every 2014 A4 gets a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder good for 220 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. This engine mates to a standard continuously variable transmission. Those opting for the all-wheel drive upgrade have the choice between an eight-speed automatic and a six-speed manual transmission. Regardless which variation you choose, this sedan makes it to 60 mph in around 6.4 seconds. Fuel economy with the CVT is at 24 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway. An all-wheel drive with the manual yields 26 mpg combined while the eight-speed automatic returns 24 mpg combined. This may not be the fastest sedan on the road, but it has plenty of torque for off the line power. Around turns it delivers a secure and balanced feel, and it holds its composure merging onto highways. Performance-minded drivers who do not mind a firmer ride will want to consider the Sport package.
• Audio - Standard on A4 is a 10-speaker system with iPod interface, satellite radio, auxiliary audio jack, and CD player. A fantastic 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system is available.
• Navigation - The navigation system can be added independently or as part of the MMI Navigation package. It includes a console-mounted screen and voice controls.
• HomeLink - Control your garage, gate, and alarm system with buttons conveniently integrated into the vehicle.
• Bluetooth - Never take your hands off the wheel to send, end, or receive calls with Bluetooth.
When tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2014 Audi A4 received a -Good- in side-impact, roof-strength, and moderate-overlap frontal-offset protection. Braking is even more impressive as the sedan equipped with summer tires stops from 60 mph in a very short 108 feet. Innovative safety features are available on certain trims, such as adaptive cruise control, rearview camera, and parking sensors. A few standout standard features include:
• Electronic stability control
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Child seat anchors
• Electronic brakeforce distribution
• Emergency braking assist
• Traction control
• Remote anti-theft alarm with immobilizer
• Electromechanical parking brake
• Audi Side Assist
• Pre-collision safety system
• Emergency inside trunk release
• Turn signal mirrors
• Post-collision safety system
The styling of the 2014 A4 Sedan is simple yet elegant, and definitely modern. The first thing you notice is the Audi Singleframe® grille. Additional highlights include dual exhaust outlet, xenon headlights, LED tail lights, aluminum trim around windows, and 17-inch wheels. The S-line package adds 18-inch wheels and a sportier trim, while the Black Optic package gives you glossy black exterior trim and 19-inch wheels.
The cabin is as nice as you have probably come to expect from Audi. Sophisticated refinement and top-notch materials can be appreciated throughout. Real leather is standard, which gives it an edge over Mercedes and BMW that tend to use premium vinyl in this class, but it is a turnoff for those who prefer cloth. The center stack is not necessarily cluttered, but it is complex. There are a lot of menus to sift through just to find audio functions or use the navigation system. You will appreciate how roomy the cabin is. It is a smaller luxury car, but there is as much room in both rows as many midsize sedans.
The trunk probably will not excite or disappoint. It offers 12.4 cubic feet, which is just average. The rear seat does offer a pass-through for long items though.