Standard on the 2014 Acura TSX Sedan is a 201-horsepower 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine. It mates to a Sequential SportShift automatic transmission to yield 22 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. The all-aluminum engine improves agility and handling, and a high-flow exhaust system ensures efficient fuel use. Its Drive-by-Wire Throttle system offers just the right amount of sensitivity for smooth and powerful response in every driving situation. TSX also offers an optional 3.5-liter V6 good for 280 horsepower and 254 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed close-ratio manual transmission is available with this engine. Fuel economy is significantly worse than the four-cylinder though at 19 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. The electric rack-and-pinion steering has been precision-crafted to provide drivers with a better connection of the road. This sedan delivers a smooth and comfortable ride in a whisper quiet cabin.
• Audio - The standard TSX gets a seven-speaker, 360-watt audio system with CD player, auxiliary input, SiriusXM satellite radio, and USB interface. An Acura/ELS premium system is also available. It features 10 speakers and 15GB hard disk drive memory media to hold approximately 3,600 songs.
• Navigation - Adding the Technology package gets you the Acura Navigation System. It features an 8-inch screen, voice recognition, and turn-by-turn directions. It also includes a trial period of AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic and Weather™ and Zagat Survey® reviews.
• Bluetooth - Never take your hands off the wheel again to initiate or end calls with Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® system. The system will pair with up to six phones.
Crash test results have not been made available yet by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. However, there is no reason why the 2014 model won't follow in the footsteps of its predecessor, and receive the same -Good- crash test ratings as the 2013 model. One can only hope that enhancements have been done to improve braking though, as the 2013 model took a very long 133 feet to stop from 60 mph. A few safety features worth mentioning include:
• Occupant Position Detection System
• Child seat anchors
• Advanced Compatibility Engineering
• Electronic brakeforce distribution
• Emergency braking assist
• Remote anti-theft alarm
• Emergency interior trunk release
• Turn signal mirrors
• Dusk sensing headlamps
• Engine immobilizer
• Rear center three-point seatbelt
Acura takes a classic sedan and chisels it just enough to create a perfect balance of sport and sophistication. It features body-colored bumpers and mirrors, attractive wheels, iconic grille, and xenon headlamps. On the downside it is only available in seven colors.
Every 2014 TSX is equipped with soft, perforated leather seats. They are supportive and there is more than enough legroom in both rows for tall passengers. The cabin is fitted with 13 thoughtful storage spaces, plus several beverage holders. If there was a critique to be made about the interior, it is that the center stack is a clutter of controls. When you first look at it, all you see an extensive assortment of controls, especially if you add on the navigation system. So, you might need to sit parked in your garage to get comfortable with everything before you start driving.
This sedan has one of the smaller trunks in this segment. Its 12.6-cubic-foot size will be accommodating to most, but if you need more room, the Sport Wagon may be the better option.