With a strong base engine, powerful upgrade engine, and available all-wheel drive system, it is easy to understand why the 2014 Acura TL Sedan is such a popular pick in the luxury sedan segment. Add the fact that its four-wheel independent suspension absorbs bumps and holes like a sponge, and you have a car that inspires road trips. Its base 3.5-liter V6 pairs up with a six-speed automatic transmission, generating 280 horsepower and 254 pound-feet of torque. It reaches 60 mph in 6.5 seconds, and returns 20 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway, which is fairly average. The 2014 TL SH-AWD gets Acura's coveted Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive system that responds to changing road and weather conditions, and also enhances cornering abilities. It is equipped with a 3.7-liter V6 good for 305 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque, which helps it reach 60 mph in only 5.7 seconds. Unfortunately fuel economy does suffer, yielding 18 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. The 2014 Acura TL is comfortable to drive and you will love how quiet the cabin is. However, if you are looking for a car to provide a lot of feedback or -feel- sporty you may be disappointed in this sedan's casual handling characteristics.
• Audio - Most will have no desire to upgrade the audio system, as the base one features eight speakers, six- CD changer, iPod interface, and satellite radio. However, if you feel the need, there is a 10-speaker surround sound system available.
• Navigation - The Acura Navigation System is phenomenal. It offers precise voice recognition and comes with an 8-inch screen. It will even guide you through interchanges, freeway ramps, and forks in the road.
• Bluetooth - Never take your hands off the wheel to receive and initiate calls. Up to six phones can be paired to this system.
• Keyless Access - This optional feature allows you to unlock the doors and start the ignition without digging your keys out of your purse or pocket.
Safety-minded buyers will appreciate how well TL does in every crash and braking test it performs. It received top safety scores in roof-strength, side-impact, frontal-offset, and small-overlap frontal-offset crash tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Braking from 60 mph can be done in 122 feet by front-wheel drive models, while all-wheel drive stops in only 120 feet. Noteworthy safety features include:
• Vehicle stability assist
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Occupant Position Detection System
• Child seat anchors
• Remote anti-theft alarm
• Turn signal mirrors
• Emergency interior trunk release
• Dusk sensing headlamps
• Engine immobilizer
• Emergency braking assist
• Traction control
• Electronic brakeforce distribution
The body of the 2014 Acura TL Sedan is unchanged, and you will not hear many complaints. It is modern and aerodynamic, but not at all flashy. This is a vehicle that will get noticed for the right reasons. All models get xenon high intensity discharge headlights, which offer improved clarity and showcase Acura's signature badge.
When you slip inside the cabin you will immediately notice how much room there is. Both rows are welcoming to even the tallest passengers and front row seats are incredibly supportive. You will also appreciate the quality of the materials. Some may miss the presence of wood accents often seen in this segment, but others will love the contemporary feel throughout. At first glance, the center stack may look intimidating, especially if you opted for the navigation system and upgraded audio, but you will quickly realize how thoughtful all controls are placed.
Base models offer 13.1 cubic feet of space. This is not thrilling, but most will find it accommodating. However, this number does drop to 12.5 cubes on all-wheel drive models.